The New York Liberty has finished with the best record in the WNBA Eastern Conference for the 3RD-straight season, going 22-12 overall, earning the No. 3 seed in the WNBA Playoffs, however the Liberty Falls to the Washington Mystics 82-68 in the 2nd Round of the WNBA Playoffs
Liberty fell to the Washington Mystics 82-68 in the 2nd Round of the WNBA Playoffs on Sunday afternoon at The Garden.
Tina Charles finished with 18 points and Bria Hartley scored 15 points for New York. Kristi Toliver hit a WNBA record 9 3-pointer for Washington and scored 32 points. New York finished the 2017 season with a 22-12 record in the regular season. Washington advances to play the Minnesota Lynx in the WNBA semifinals.
The Liberty got out to a big lead in the 1st half, going up 29-15 on a Tina Charles 3-pointer with 8:05 left in the 2nd quarter. The Mystics were able to draw to within 6 points by halftime as Toliver started to heat up from the outside; she scored 12 of her 32 points on the 2nd quarter when she sunk 3 3-pointers.
Washington opened the 2nd half on an 18-3 run and led the rest of the way. After post game, Tina excuses her actions including the team, they lost of defense becouse of Toliver, its true or not, but this player step up into game lead leading the way, she nailed 5-of-6 3-pointers in the 3rd period, and New York was unable to draw to closer than 9 points down the stretch.
New York Liberty Notes
• New York finished the regular season with 20-plus wins for the 3rd year in a row and was making its 3rd-straight appearance in the WNBA Playoffs
• The Liberty finished with the best record in the Eastern Conference for a 3rd-straight season
• New York is eliminated in the 2nd Round of the WNBA Playoffs for the 2nd year in a row
• Kristi Toliver hit a WNBA Playoff record 9 3-pointers for Washington
• Washington had 14 offensive rebounds, the most for a Liberty opponent this season
• New York, which averaged 13.2 2nd chance points per game tied for a season-low 3 on Sunday
• The Liberty fell to 4-8 on the year when losing the 2nd chance scoring battle
• New York was outrebounded (37-33) for just the 7th time this season; Liberty 2-5 when outrebounded in 2017
• Shavonte Zellous suffered a lower back injury in the 1st quarter and played just 7:41 in the 1st half
• New York is now 27-36 all-time in the WNBA Playoffs and 19-15 at home in the WNBA Playoffs
• The Liberty are 0-2 in the new WNBA Playoff format implemented prior to the 2016 season.